James Rhoads Elementary School 2022-2023
Frequently Asked Questions
● School Starts at 8:10 AM. Dismissal is at 2:54 PM
● Breakfast for K-8 is served in the cafeteria daily from 7:45-8:05
● Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grades students will arrive and dismiss from Cafeteria yellow door on 50th Street
● 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th grades arrive and dismiss from the schoolyard
● James Rhoads will be cell phone-free! School number: 215-400-7680
● School Uniform: Blue or Yellow Shirts, Blue or Khaki Pants. NO crocs, or open-toed shoes
● Parents/Guardians must bring current photo ID to pick up their child for early dismissal
● Please send your child with a water bottle each day
Important Contact Information
Megan Wapner: Principal; firstname.lastname@example.org
Fatima Welcome: Assistant Principal; email@example.com
Francis Askew: School Counselor 5-8; firstname.lastname@example.org
Crystal Harris: School Counselor K-4; email@example.com
Lamond Muhammad: Climate Manager; firstname.lastname@example.org
Aimee Reilly: SPECM email@example.com
Dear James Rhoads Families,
On behalf of the staff at James Rhoads School, I am happy to welcome you to the 2022-2023 school year! As I start my third year as the principal of this amazing school, we strive to ensure that every student feels welcome, safe, and a part of the school community. I hope this school year will be meaningful for students, families, and staff.
Over the summer, the staff was busy participating in professional development, community engagement, and much more. They are energized and excited to welcome back the students on August 29, 2022. On the first day of school, staff members will be available to assist students in finding their classes.
Each school day, Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grades will arrive and be dismissed from the cafeteria. Breakfast will be served to Kindergarten through 8th-grade students in the cafeteria every morning from 7:45 to 8:05. All students must arrive at school by 8:10.
As we messaged at the end of last year, James Rhoads will be a cell phone-free school starting on the first day. We understand the importance of students having cell phones while traveling to and from school, but they will not have access to their phones during the school day. Students will all place their phones in Yondr pockets when they enter the schoolyard and will remove their phones from the Yondr pocket when they exit the building. In the case of an emergency, please contact the office at 215-400-7680.
Students in grades 4-8 will also receive clear backpacks on the first day of school. We genuinely appreciate your support as we strive to create a safe and productive learning environment daily.
James Rhoads students are required to wear a uniform every day. The uniform is a blue or yellow shirt, and blue or khaki bottoms. Students must wear closed-toed shoes with backs – no Crocs, slides, or sandals for safety reasons. James Rhoads embroidered Polo shirts will be available for $10, and forms will be sent home with students during the first week of school.
We are looking forward to a productive partnership with you to ensure our children can achieve their highest potential. We recognize that to be successful in school, our children need support from home. We know a strong partnership with you will make a significant difference in your child’s education. As partners, we share the responsibility for our children’s success and want you to know that we will do our best to carry out our responsibilities. We ask that you guide and support your child’s learning by ensuring that they:
1) Attend school daily, arrive on time, and are ready for the day’s learning experience.
2) Complete all homework assignments given by teachers
3) Read daily to develop a love for reading and to improve literacy skills
4) Share school experiences with you so that you are aware of his/her school life
5) Informs you if he/she needs additional support in any area or subject
6) Knows that you expect him/her to succeed in school
Please consider joining our school volunteer program, as our students can greatly benefit from your involvement and contributions to the school’s program and operations. We will seek volunteers to help us with the following activities:
1) Teacher-led instructional support, usually in the classroom
2) Reading with children who need extra help
3) School-wide events
4) Student recognition events
5) Outreach and recruitment of parent and community volunteers
6) School Advisory Council (SAC)
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the main office at 215-400-7680.
James Rhoads Principal
The James Rhoads Vision is to provide a world-class learning environment where children become lifelong learners to positively impact not only their future, but also the future of their families and community.
It is our mission as the staff of James Rhoads to provide a highly effective educational program that informs, inspires, liberates and empowers students to seize academic, emotional and social success.
Provide effective instruction that is standards driven, differentiated and rigourous and provided by highly qualified and dedicated teachers.